There is something magnetic, vulnerable, dangerous, and electric about Angela Perley that has been causing a lot of buzz around the artist and her band The Howlin’ Moons lately. Demure and quiet off stage, the performer usually shocks people when she tells them she is the lead singer in a band. “Putting on a show is my way of being heard, I guess,” says Perley.
Growing up in small town Ohio, Perley spent years as an observant wallflower engrossing herself in poetry, literature, people, and films. “I am a storyteller at heart, always have been. I get a lot of inspiration from relationships, surroundings, poetry, and old movies. Music for me is a way to express feelings I can’t get out any other way, and when I hit the stage with the band I can turn up and let go.”
Perley’s band features longtime friends Billy Zehnal and Chris Connor on bass and lead guitar and Jeff Martin on drums. Since their incarnation in 2009, the band has released four EPs (Black Cat, Yellow Moon, Fireside, and Nowhere is Now Here) and one album (Hey Kid) on Vital Music USA. The group’s latest release and debut album, Hey Kid (Jan 2014), has been catching praise in the U.S. and the UK from tastemakers including American Songwriter Magazine, Magnet Magazine, PopDose, Americana UK, Twang Nation and more and has been gaining steady grassroots radio play in both the U.S. and Europe. The group’s explosive single, “Hurricane” was featured on ABC during the USC vs. UCLA football game in November and their new record reached number six on the EuroAmericana charts in March of 2014.
Perley has earned comparisons to everyone from Joan Jett to Patsy Cline and her range of delicate reverb-laden crooners to grit- fused rock anthems have made more and more listeners take notice. The band’s live shows rumble with swaggering basslines and guitar riffs and Perley’s soulful delivery and charismatic stage presence create a memorable experience for audiences eager to listen.
The #Best Country Music – #country #countrymusic #musicnews #MusicVideos
Music News Headlines
- 'The Walking Dead' Recap: Face Off
- On the Charts: Logic Opens at Number One, David Byrne Hits New Peak
- Hear Drake Drop New Verse on N.E.R.D.'s 'Lemon' Remix
- See Arcade Fire Deliver 'Everything Now' Songs in 'SNL' Return
- You Can't Kill Your Way to Freedom
- Bill Hader on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Watch 'SNL' Recap Turmoil at White House in Cold Open Sketch
- The Roots' SXSW Show Canceled After Bomb Threat
- Hear Eminem's Studio Version of NRA-Slamming 'Nowhere Fast'
- Watch Keith Richards, Mavis Staples Highlight Love Rocks NYC Benefit
- Trump Lawyer Threatens Stormy Daniels With $20 Million in Damages
- Aretha Franklin Cancels Upcoming Concerts on Doctor's Orders
- Keith Urban's SXSW Speech: 10 Things We Learned
- Hear RaeLynn's No-Nonsense New Song 'Queens Don't'
- Man Details His $70,000 Mobile Gaming Habit
- Kava: Inside the All-Natural High That's Sweeping America
- Bill Cosby Will Face Five More Accusers in Sexual Assault Retrial
- Celebrities and Esports Pros To Face Off In 'Fortnite Battle Royale' At E3
- 10 Best Country and Americana Songs of the Week: Brent Cobb, Sarah Shook and More
- Mike Gordon: Five Songs That Transported Me
Music News from MTV