The second in this series of visual tinkerings.
This project began in 2010 with a focus on Lady Gaga vs X-representative-of-Y-metal-subgenre, in order to satirize the perception of each genre in the eyes of the other’s fans, while critiquing a set of visual styles which are not so dissimilar.
The second installment, Bleed-a-razzi links the part of story line of Paparazzi with the chaotic imagery of Bleed to create a new cohesive narrative in the conscious/subconscious line of events for our heroine.
The ultimate aim is to bridge the gap between fans of one style and another, by taking the artist out of their own context, and testing what these artists are about. To me Lady Gaga represents the epitome of the spirit of pop — absurd hyper-stylized easy-to-digest material that makes you move. Meshuggah is Swedish extreme metal band most American audiences will never hear of, but they too have driving beats and are immensely popular in the metal world. Both are known for transcending identities and “reinventing” themselves in terms of musical approach and visual style.
Argument of Fair Use
1. The purpose and character of the work is not in-itself commercial.
a. Bleed-a-razzi musically and visually satirizes two polar opposite genres of music, which have distinctive features of absurd imagery.
b. The purpose is to take two audiences of Lady Gaga and introduce them (somewhat) to what Meshuggah does, and vice versa — while exposing to both audiences that each video is equally bizarre.
c. The two videos also create an irony in that the unfolding of events, rearranged compliments the sequence of events of the other.
d. The purpose is to take the raw material of each video and transform it into a new narrative with a new driving theme, to attract or disgust each original videos’ original audience.
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
a. There is substantial use of the source videos in order to comment upon the original works.
b. This video fits into a greater whole of Lady Gaga v. metal band videos I am working on — as Lady Gaga appears to be “the it girl” in pop at the moment and bands like Meshuggah, Behemoth and In Flames represent different subgenres of metal – each work is an individually parodies the unique combination — while the collection satirizes the perception of “popular” and “underground” music scenes.
c. In order to accomplish this aim, substantial “citation” is required of the original material.
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
a. There is no negative effect on the potential or actual audiences of any artist involved.
b. These videos are no substitute for the originals.
c. It is possible one artist and end up becoming a fan of the other, creating a beneficial marketing opportunity for both, will attract some.
d. The product itself is non-commercial.
#LadyGaga #Music and #Videos
Music News Headlines
- Salt-N-Pepa Reunite With En Vogue for 'Whatta Man' at Billboard Music Awards
- BBMAs: See BTS' Angst-Ridden Performance of New Song 'Fake Love'
- Janet Jackson Performs 'Nasty,' Salute #MeToo During Billboard Music Awards Speech
- 'Westworld' Recap: This Shogun For Hire
- See Christina Aguilera, Demi Lovato's Rousing 'Fall in Line' Duet at BBMAs
- Watch Ariana Grande's Dynamic Performance of 'No Tears Left to Cry' at BBMAs
- On the Charts: Post Malone's 'Beerbongs & Bentleys' Continues to Reign
- 'SNL': Watch Tina Fey Reprise Sarah Palin Impersonation
- Tina Fey on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Watch Nicki Minaj Bring 'Chun-Li,' Playboi Carti to 'SNL'
- Watch 'SNL' Reenact 'Sopranos' Finale With Trump's Legal Team
- Asia Argento Aims Fiery Cannes Speech at Harvey Weinstein, Sexual Predators
- Reggie Lucas, Miles Davis Guitarist and Madonna Producer, Dead at 65
- Elton John Performs at Royal Wedding Reception
- Watch Taylor Swift Bring Out Shawn Mendes at Rose Bowl Concert
- Watch Jimmy Kimmel's Powerful Monologue After Texas School Shooting
- Prince's Yellow Cloud Guitar Sells for $225,000 at New York Auction
- Opioid Crisis: What People Don't Know About Heroin
- Boyd Tinsley: 'I Will Defend Myself Against False Accusations' of Sexual Misconduct
- 10 Best Country and Americana Songs of the Week: Sam Hunt, Clare Dunn and More
Music News from MTV