This episode was brought to you by TurboTax. Relax, there’s TurboTax. http://intuit.me/1eCMlVs
More Celebrity News ►► http://bit.ly/SubClevverNews
Days after the Time’s Up movement took over the Golden Globes, Taylor Swift quietly made a hefty donation to the its legal defense fund.
Taylor Swift is the victim of sexual assault, and now she’s helping others who are also victims.
Taylor Swift was sexually assaulted back in 2013 when a radio DJ reached his hand under her skirt and groped her butt. The man was fired for his actions, and later sued Taylor for ruining his career. The two faced off in court in August 2017, and a jury ruled in favor of the singer. She only got $1 in damages because she didn’t care about money — she cared about justice.
She said at the time QUOTE “I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this. My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.”
Taylor meant what she said in that statement, because she recently donated $100,000 to Time’s Up’s Legal Defense Fund, which was created to QUOTE “provide subsidized legal support to women and men who have experienced sexual harassment, assault, or abuse in the workplace and while in pursuit of their careers. “
TIME’S UP is a movement that was started just several weeks ago as a way to stand in solidarity with those who have been sexually mistreated in the past and prevent sexual abuse from happening in the future. It also pushes for women to have equal opportunities, pay, etc., as men. Many female celebrities wore black to the Golden Globe Awards and men wore Time’s Up pins to show their support.
Taylor joined the likes of many other big-name celebrities to give a large amount of money to the fund. Just to name a few… Meryl Streep, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston all gave $500,000. Oprah Winfrey donated $100,000. And Emma Stone, Natalie Portman, Jessica Chastain and more gave $50,000.
OUTRO VO: Taylor often gets criticized for staying quiet on important world issues such as sexual assault, but just because she doesn’t make a show out of her charitable efforts doesn’t mean she doesn’t care. Do you think Taylor should tell people when she gives money to charities? Sound off in the comments below. I’m your host Sinead De Vries, thanks so much for watching and I’ll see you next time.
And then click to the right to get a preview of Taylor Swift’s “End Game” music video, and to the left to find out if Millie Bobby Brown is leaving Stranger Things. This episode was brought to you buy TurboTax. Relax, there’s Turbo Tax.
For More Clevver Visit:
There are 2 types of people: those who follow us on Facebook and those who are missing out http://facebook.com/clevver
Keep up with us on Instagram: http://instagr.am/Clevver
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ClevverTV
Add us to your circles on Google+: http://google.com/+ClevverNews
Tweet Me: http://www.twitter.com/SineaddeVries
This is a sponsored video
The Best #TaylorSwift #songs and #videos
Music News Headlines
- Judge Dismisses Coal Magnate's Lawsuit Against John Oliver, HBO
- Watch Al Pacino's Joe Paterno Fight for Job in New HBO Biopic Trailer
- The Crystals Singer Barbara Ann Alston Dead at 74
- The Chinese College Offering Courses on Esports Success
- Prince's Paisley Park Sets Celebration 2018 Four-Day Event
- Neil Young Details Archival 'Roxy - Tonight's the Night Live' Album
- Hear Last Bandoleros Summon Bakersfield Twang in New 'Dancing With Irene'
- Daily Glixel: Overwatch League Team Honors Parkland Victims
- Lucy Dacus: Rock's Reluctant Hero
- A History of Sex and Abuse in the Trump Administration
- Weta Gameshop, Dr. Grordbort's Ray Guns and The Hunt For Magic Leap Gaming
- The Soul-Crushing Legacy of Billy Graham
- 10 New Albums to Stream Now: 'Concert for George,' Screaming Females and More Rolling Stone Editors' Picks
- Riot Reveals 'League of Legends' Loot Box Drop Rates
- Hear Logic's First New Song of 2018, '44 More'
- Justin Townes Earle Details 2018 Solo Acoustic Tour
- Jake Owen Announces Summer Ballpark Tour With Chris Janson
- 'Fortnite Battle Royale's' Season Three Brings Big Changes
- 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' Wins Game of the Year at DICE Awards
- 'Destiny 2': Where's Xur and What's He Selling (February 23)?
Music News from MTV