This episode was brought to you by TurboTax. Relax, there’s TurboTax. http://intuit.me/1eCMlVs
More Celebrity News ►► http://bit.ly/SubClevverNews
Days after the Time’s Up movement took over the Golden Globes, Taylor Swift quietly made a hefty donation to the its legal defense fund.
Taylor Swift is the victim of sexual assault, and now she’s helping others who are also victims.
Taylor Swift was sexually assaulted back in 2013 when a radio DJ reached his hand under her skirt and groped her butt. The man was fired for his actions, and later sued Taylor for ruining his career. The two faced off in court in August 2017, and a jury ruled in favor of the singer. She only got $1 in damages because she didn’t care about money — she cared about justice.
She said at the time QUOTE “I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this. My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.”
Taylor meant what she said in that statement, because she recently donated $100,000 to Time’s Up’s Legal Defense Fund, which was created to QUOTE “provide subsidized legal support to women and men who have experienced sexual harassment, assault, or abuse in the workplace and while in pursuit of their careers. “
TIME’S UP is a movement that was started just several weeks ago as a way to stand in solidarity with those who have been sexually mistreated in the past and prevent sexual abuse from happening in the future. It also pushes for women to have equal opportunities, pay, etc., as men. Many female celebrities wore black to the Golden Globe Awards and men wore Time’s Up pins to show their support.
Taylor joined the likes of many other big-name celebrities to give a large amount of money to the fund. Just to name a few… Meryl Streep, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston all gave $500,000. Oprah Winfrey donated $100,000. And Emma Stone, Natalie Portman, Jessica Chastain and more gave $50,000.
OUTRO VO: Taylor often gets criticized for staying quiet on important world issues such as sexual assault, but just because she doesn’t make a show out of her charitable efforts doesn’t mean she doesn’t care. Do you think Taylor should tell people when she gives money to charities? Sound off in the comments below. I’m your host Sinead De Vries, thanks so much for watching and I’ll see you next time.
And then click to the right to get a preview of Taylor Swift’s “End Game” music video, and to the left to find out if Millie Bobby Brown is leaving Stranger Things. This episode was brought to you buy TurboTax. Relax, there’s Turbo Tax.
For More Clevver Visit:
There are 2 types of people: those who follow us on Facebook and those who are missing out http://facebook.com/clevver
Keep up with us on Instagram: http://instagr.am/Clevver
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ClevverTV
Add us to your circles on Google+: http://google.com/+ClevverNews
Tweet Me: http://www.twitter.com/SineaddeVries
This is a sponsored video
The Best #TaylorSwift #songs and #videos
Music News Headlines
- Police Rule Out 'Criminal Suspicion' in Avicii's Death
- Hear Tiesto, Kaskade, Steve Aoki Pay Tribute to Avicii
- How Gang of Youths Are Living Their Dream of Being the Next U2
- Beyonce Cements 'Queen of Coachella' Status With Masterful Second Show
- Neil Young Jams With Stephen Stills, the Heartbreakers At Autism Benefit
- Verne Troyer, Mini-Me in 'Austin Powers' Series, Dead at 49
- Hear Fiona Apple's Tender New Song 'I Can't Wait to Meet You'
- 5 Country-EDM Songs Inspired by Avicii
- Lynyrd Skynyrd Set Hometown Stadium Gig for Final Show
- Robert Redford-Produced Surfer Doc to Premiere at Tribeca Film Festival
- Ariana Grande Debuts New Single Live at Surprise Coachella Appearance
- A$AP Rocky Marks 4/20 With New 'Herojuana Blunts' Video
- Diplo Remembers Avicii: 'You Were the Gold Standard'
- 5 Key Questions Raised by the Redacted Comey Memos
- 10 Best Country and Americana Songs of the Week: Tyler Farr, Tenille Townes and More
- The State-by-State Guide to Weed in America
- R. Kelly's Lawyer, Publicist Sever Ties With Singer
- 'Smallville' Star Allison Mack Arrested for Alleged Ties to Sex Cult
- See Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper Discuss Smoking Pot, Growing Weed
- John Legend, Sara Bareilles Swap Creative Process Stories at Tribeca Film Fest
Music News from MTV